NEXT BUS CLASS: Not scheduled at this time.
Classes are held at the Transportation Office. You must have an application on file, completed an interview and been invited to class.
Before becoming a school bus driver for the district, drivers must meet strict requirements. They include, but are not limited to:
- At least 18 years old.
- Possess a valid NC CDL (Commercial Driver's License) with P (Passenger) and S (School Bus) Endorsements and a clean driving record.
- Pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
- Pass a pre-employment drug test.
School Bus Driver Training Checklist:
For those drivers that are new to North Carolina, or that reside in North Carolina, but do not have a CDL, training classes are mandatory prior to getting behind the wheel. All candidates are pre-screened before inviting them to the training classes. Below is a brief summary of the process.
- Selected to attend training class by interview panel.
- Successfully pass written tests for their Commercial Driver's License.
- Successfully pass three days of on-the-road training with DMV Driver Trainer.
- All criteria listed above must also be met before employment.